SUSTAINABLE GROWTH FOR ALL
The Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah is an area of outstanding natural beauty as well as being a site of historical and architectural significance in the region. Through its involvement in exploring and extracting materials from among the area’s natural resources, RAK Rock understands its responsibility to the local environment and local people. We understand that our business can only grow together with the communities we work in, and the history and development of our company has often gone hand-in-glove with that of society.
In some locations we are biggest employer in the area and local families and communities depend on our operations if their infrastructure, services, shops and lives are to prosper. Therefore, just as we understand our duty of care to our employees’ health and safety, so too do we accept and acknowledge our obligation to society.
As a result, we have placed sustainability at the heart of our business practices and, along with our sister companies, RAK Rock has worked hard to build an enviable reputation for creating environmental protection measures and improving environmental standards in the UAE and the wider region.
By training all our workers to understand their responsibility to helping develop a sustainable future and by maintaining an open dialogue and collaborating with all parties who have an interest in what we do, we are striving to improve the industry’s image and reduce its impact on local communities.
Environmental control measures have accounted for around 10% of our capital expenditure in recent years, during which time we have implemented and maintained an Environmental Management System that meets all the requirements of ISO 14001:2004. We are fully committed to continuously developing our policy so that we minimise our environmental impact on our surrounding eco-system, it’s natural inhabitants and the local residential community.
We work in close cooperation with Ras Al Khaimah Environment Protection and Industrial Development Authority, including introducing advanced dust extraction systems across all out sites that prevent environmental pollution by dust. We have also totally enclosed all primary, secondary and tertiary crushers, as well as screens, conveyers and product bins, in order to minimise environmental impact.
OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL MEASURES
The many other environmental measures we have taken to reduce our environmental impact include:
- Blasting and water spraying faces to prevent airborne dust
- Water spraying tops of faces before blasting
- Water spraying during barge loading
- Monitoring vibration and noise levels during blasting
- Covering of crushing lines
- Controlling dust emissions through total encapsulation of conveyors and chutes
- Fully encapsulating conveyor bridges
- Covered stockpiling for large volumes
- Installing and covering product bins
- Water spraying unpaved roads
- Installing sound-proof walls to control noise levels
- Installing dust/noise control fencing
- Recycling and reusing our own tyres onsite
- Cleaning vehicles with wheel wash equipment before they leave site
- Water spraying and sheeting vehicles before they leave site
- Cleaning exit roads using road sweepers
- Extensive tree planting around sites to reduce visual impact
- Introducing and adhering to environmental monitoring plans
- Ensuring control measures are effective and comply with standards imposed by federal and regional governments
- Establishing which areas require further improvements
- Frequently monitoring ambient air quality, noise levels, water quality, soil quality, vibration levels and flora/fauna
- Undertaking air quality analysis using respirable dust samplers and sound level monitors